Wednesday 24 September 2008

Silvia Ochoa's questions

Silvia Ochoa (SilviaO to ccMixters) has sent out a questionnaire to mixers of her excellent a capellas on ccMixter. I thought I would post my answers here. My mix of Nube was an ed-pick on the site a while ago, and Silvia recently performed my mix of Nunca Sabre live in Columbia.

Silvia Ochoa: How did you get to know CCmixter?

oldDog: Just browsing on the internet! At the time I was fairly new to digital ways of composing, and wanted to develop my skills.

SO: What kind of equipment (hardware and software) do you use? Is it all digital, or there are analog instruments as well?

OD: I do everything in Logic Pro, with a Mac Pro and a Fireface 400 interface. I do have a good Rode mic, but mostly on ccMixter I use pre-existing samples and virtual instruments. I also use a Yamaha S90ES Synth, and Dynaudio monitors.




SO: How do you work, do you upload originals or make mixes?

OD: I’m starting to do some songwriting and singing now for the first time, but up to now I’ve been remixing, mostly using complete a capellas, but also doing more experimental mixes, some of them instrumental.

SO: What do you like CCmixter the most?

OD: There’s a great sense of a creative, open attitude, so any style is OK and people often give helpful and supportive advice.

SO: What is your musical background?

OD: I’m a classical composer with a Cambridge degree and a PhD in composition - I’ve taught composition in several University colleges in London, and had pieces performed and broadcast here in the UK and all over the world.

SO: How long does it take for you to complete a mix?

OD: It varies from a couple of hours to several days.

SO: How much time do you spend on CCmixter weekly?

OD: Too much!

SO: Do you also work with commercial music? Do you make your living out of music?

OD: I’ve made a living as a composer, lecturer and editor - including writing contemporary classical music, and some educational and theatre music.

SO: Has any of your projects in CCmixter ever become a commercial project?

OD: Yes, I’ve had remixes on the CalendarSongs project, and an upcoming remix album of Shannon Hurley’s vocals.

SO: Why would you recommend CCmixter to other musicians?

OD: It’s a great way to learn about mixing, and about composing generally - and it’s good fun!

SO: Why did you choose Silvia´s a-capellas? What did draw your attention?

OD: Silvia has a great voice with a strong emotional feel. They have a gentle, intimate quality that I like.

SO: Do you understand the lyrics?

OD: Not very well!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice interview! it's great getting to know the mixters better.

contact form